Recipe of the Week: Quiche with Hash Brown Crust

I found this recipe for hash brown crust for quiche on Pinterest.  I'm always looking out for naturally gluten-free alternatives and decided to give this one a try.  The eggy mixture came out of the springform pan I was using. I'm not sure if I have a defective pan or I just didn't attach it correctly, but it was messy.  Luckily I placed it on a cookie sheet.  I'm not sure if I liked the additional potato flavor better than the usual crustless quiche I make plus it's a lot more work, but it's nice to try something new.

I made mine with ham; mushrooms; frozen spinach that I defrosted, drained, and patted dry; onions and a mix of Swiss and Mexican cheeses. I also left out the sour cream. I just use whatever I have on hand.



Ingredients:
  • cooking spray
  • 3 ounces baby arugula or spinach
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus more for pan
  • 1 pound package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
  • 8 large eggs
  • sea salt and ground pepper
  • ½ cup light sour cream
  • 1 cup half and half
  • sea salt
  • 6 ounces grated Swiss cheese
  • 2 ounces Mexican cheese
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • mushrooms
  • diced ham


Directions:
  1. Defrost, drain, and pat dry frozen spinach.
  2. In a frying pan with oil, cook onion and mushroom.
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  4. Spray a 9-by-2 1/2-inch springform pan with cooking spray, then brush with butter. Line the sides of the pan with strips of parchment paper (the same height as pan); brush paper with butter - this part is essential - it will give you the lovely golden crust and keep the crust from sticking to your pan.
  5. Place hash browns on 3-4 thicknesses of paper towels and fold paper towels over potatoes. Hold over sink and squeeze excess moisture from hash browns.
  6. Remove hash browns from paper towel packet and place in a bowl with butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat into bottom and up sides of prepared pan, using your hands. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
  7. Place cooled spinach on 3-4 thicknesses of paper towels and using technique in step 5, squeeze out excess liquid.
  8. In a large bowl, whisk 7 remaining eggs, half and half, cheese, spinach, 1 teaspoons sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined. Pour into crust. Place spingform pan on cookie sheet.  Bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove outer ring of springform pan, and gently peel off parchment paper.

Comments

Popular Posts