We bought our kitchen table and chairs off of Craigslist shortly before we moved into our new house. We wanted a round table that could expand with a leaf, which is surprisingly difficult to find. We knew we wanted to change out the material on the chairs, but it took awhile for us to actually get around to buying the material and staple gun and then we had only two of the chairs recovered for a long time before we finished the project.
Here are the before and after pictures of the chairs:
We didn't do anything special in recovering them. We just unscrewed the seat and took off the old material then stapled the new material with a staple gun. The hardest part was getting the corners right.
Here is a close up of the new grey material:
I really like the way they turned out. They actually remind me of these IKEA chairs that I was eyeing awhile back, which I didn't think about when we chose the material.