Recipe of the Week: German Tomato Soup
We have been making German Tomato Soup for a long time, but this was the first time I made it in the crock pot. It is a warm and cozy.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup*
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/8 cups water, or as needed
- 6 white potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
* I use Trader Joe's tomato soup that is gluten free and then I adjust the milk and water levels since it's not condensed.
- Heat a pan medium-high heat. Crumble in the ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently, until evenly browned. Drain excess grease.
- Add the cooked beef along with the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onion, tomato soup, milk and water into the crock pot. Cook for 5 hours on high or 10 hours on low.