This recipe is fabulous! It's great for those who are gluten-free, dairy-free, want a healthier alternative, or didn't pick up a can of condensed "cream of whatever" soup for their yummy casserole dish. I've tried different gluten-free condensed cream of mushroom soups and I didn't like them. They didn't taste like Campbell's, so I was excited to try this recipe and am very happy to report that it tastes good! Plus one recipe is equal to one can of soup. So easy! I found it in the comments section of this blog post.
- 1 cup cold milk (works with dairy-free milk according to my mom)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter (can use margarine)
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.
- Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
- Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.
- Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.
CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:
Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.
Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP:
Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.
Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.
CONDENSED CREAM OF CELERY SOUP
Stir in 1/2 cup sautéed chopped celery to the recipe above.Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Celery Soup.