I found this yummy recipe on Pinterest, but it originally came from this blog. It is so good! I highly recommend making it. You will feel good about yourself because you're eating quinoa and broccoli, but it will taste good because of all the cheese and creaminess. I have made it a few times and it is always good. I added cooked chicken to the recipe to make it more of a main dish instead of a side dish.
- One 10 oz can condensed Cream of Broccoli soup (or mushroom), or Condensed “Cream of Anything” Soup
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (original called for 1 full cup. WOW.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups reduced fat shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon Splenda/sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups COOKED quinoa (see note)
- Feshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of cooked chicken (I used shredded chicken, you could even use canned)
To cook quinoa:
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear. In a small saucepan combine the quinoa, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and the white ring/tail is visible. Fluff with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a shallow (8×8 in or 5-6 cups) casserole dish – or individual ramekins – with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the soup, mayonnaise, milk, shredded cheese, Splenda, pepper, and nutmeg until well mixed. Stir in the quinoa, chicken, and broccoli.
- Spoon mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle on a couple tablespoons of Parmesan and bake for 35-40 minutes (20-25 minutes for ramekins) or until bubbly on the edges and golden. Makes 8 generous 1/2-cup servings.
Per Serving: Calories 199, Protein 10 g; Fat 9 g; NET Carbs 14 g; Fiber 2 g; Sugar 1 g; Sodium 297 mg