Tip of the Day: Baking Soda and Peroxide

I found this tip on Pinterest, but originally it came from the blog "One Good Thing" by Jillee.  Jillee used it to get hard water stains from her cooking utensils and to clean up her old jelly roll pans.  See the miracle this mixture performed on her pan below.

from here.


RECIPEMix 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste.  Then rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease.  You can use your fingers or a small sponge.  She doesn't specify how long or if she waited so I left if for an hour or so for good measure.

from here.

RESULT: I tried it out on one of my non-stick pans that has some oil/grease build up that we can't seem to get off.  It got off all of the oil from the dish I made that day really easily, which is generally a pain, and some of the oil from before, but didn't get it spotless.  I liked that it's not a harsh cleaner so I can use it on my cook wear.  

I also used it on our toaster and the stove top.  It worked really well on the toaster, getting off all the old build up that appliances seem to collect.  It didn't get old grease that was on my stove burners that even Comet hasn't been able to get off, but it cleaned up the new stuff really nicely.  The only problem was that I had to clean the baking soda off about four times from our black stove.  I do not recommend buying a black stove because it shows any sort of spot way too well.

I'd definitely recommend it.  It's cheap, easy, and not harsh and it works pretty well. Worth trying.


BONUS TIP FROM E.L.F.:  Need to remove stains from your teeth? Mix a little bit of baking soda and peroxide together and use as a paste instead of your normal tooth paste once a week.

Comments

Popular Posts