Recipe of the Week: Sloppy Joes
We combined two recipes all based on the ingredients we had on hand and we really liked the results. The celery was surprising good. It's a little sweet and added a nice flavor I hadn't had before in sloppy joes. The recipes are found here and here. I used the Kinnikinnick Tapioca Rice Hamburger Buns which are pretty tasty.
This is our new favorite sloppy joe recipe:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Crumble the ground beef into a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently until evenly browned. Drain off grease. Add the onion and celery, and cook until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.