Recipe of the Week: German Tomato Soup
One of our very favorite recipes is German Tomato Soup. It is tasty and hardy, perfect for the chilly weather. It's also healthy and is great left over. It goes great with corn bread or toast. I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/8 cups water, or as needed
- 6 white potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Heat a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in the ground beef. Cook, stirring frequently, until evenly browned. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onion, tomato soup, milk and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook for 1 1/2 hours before serving.