Recipe of the Week: Arepas de Queso

As I was complaining to my visiting teachers about my lack of gluen-free food, they suggested that we make arepas.  They recently learned from a Columbian woman how to make this torilla/pupusa like bread made of corn and I was so glad they did.  What a fantastic gluten-free find!  I went over to their house and Susan showed me the ropes.  She bought a tortilla maker just for the occasion, although she said it wasn't manditory.  She cooked one up for me with mozzerella cheese and ham on top and I was sold.  I went home with the rest of the corn meal and the arepas we made.

Here's the recipe Susan gave me that she received from her Columbian friend.

Ingredients
(4 arepas)
  • 1 cup pre-cooked white or yellow arepa four/cornmeal
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup white or mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • Pinch salt

Directions 
  1. Combine the cornmeal, warm water, cheese, 1 tbsp butter and salt, mixing thoroughly. Let mixture stand for five minutes.
  2. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with wateras you work.
  3. Form 4 small balls with the dough.  Place each ball between 2 plastic bags and with a flatpotcover flatten to 1/4 inch.
  4. Add the butter to a nonstick pan over medium heat.  Place the arepas in the pan, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until a crust forms or they are golden brown.

I cooked these up for Albert and me the next day.  I topped them with avocado, cherry tomatoes, and mozzerella. Susan said she like mozzerella and jam on hers so I tried that as well and I loved it.  I could eat these all day long.  I need to make some more.  I don't know if Albert is as big of a fan as I am, but that just leaves more for me.  I might have to attempt to make them by myself one of these days :)  I give it them at least 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

kELLY said…
HOLY. COW.
that looks awesome!!!!

Popular Posts