Washington Combat Presents: Battle of the Legends

On Friday, May 14 we got free tickets to the Washington Combat MMA fight.  We had never been to see a match live and it was really weird to see these guys hitting and kicking each other.  Definitely not something I'd bring my kids to.  It's a good place to meet guys if you're looking.  Girls were in the minority for sure.  It took a really long time to get started.   We got there right when it was supposed to start, but it didn't really start for another hour.

The announcer was a woman with a voice that reminded me of the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland.  Plus she loved to roll her Rs which made "congrrrrrrrraduations" so much more fun.  She drew out the vowels so long that I could not understand any of the names.

The best part was the entrance of the fighters.  They were on the other side of the cage but we saw all the smoke and lights on the big screen.  I was thinking we should have had a fog machine for our wedding and then we could have made a spectacular entrance with our entourage with cool music.   

The thing about these fights is that most of it is just rolling around and long periods of time where they are embraced and occasionally hit/kick each other.  Not something I am particularly interested in seeing.  Also, you have no idea who is going to win at the end of the match until the judges say.  I have no idea how they determine the winner and it seemed kind of random.  They were all pretty new in professional fighting. It was either their first or second time fighting a professional fight.


The second and third fights got progressively more interesting as the fighters got bigger.  It wasn't pretty in the second fight when the one guy had blood dripping down his face from a gash in his head.  I was a little disturbed.  The white guy won by a knock out (you like his shorty pants?).  I didn't realize that he had been knocked out at all, but I guess it was only for a second.


The third fight was won by a tap out by the white guy.  We didn't get to see the main event because my uncle was waiting for us at the airport and we were scheduled to pick him up.  It was an interesting cultural experience.  I thought I would like it more since I do like martial arts a great deal, but it was more wrestling without the cool throws and not a lot of kicking (or punching really).

Comments

Popular Posts