Recipe of the Week: Lasagna Soup

I found this recipe for Lasagna Soup on the Family, Stamping and FOOD! blog and I couldn't wait to try it, it looked so yummy and i was curious how my gluten-free pasta would hold up. I made it according to the recipe and used Barilla (my favorite) pasta sauce, ground beef, gluten free chicken broth, and rice fusilli from Trader Joe's. It turned out great.

Ingredients: 

  • 1 onion finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic finely minced
  • choice of meat (ground beef, Italian sausage, meatballs...)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce
  • 4 cups chicken (or vegetable or beef) stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 8 oz {gf} pasta (Rotini, Fusilli, Campanelle,Corkscrew)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
  • shredded Mozzarella cheese


Directions:

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil to medium heat and saute onion until golden. Add garlic and warm through about 1 minute before adding your choice of meat. Brown the meat, remove any extra fat. Add oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, spaghetti sauce, chicken stock and bay leaves. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Add pasta and increase heat to bring to a boil and cook for recommended time on pasta box for "al dente". Discard bay leaves and adjust seasonings by adding salt & pepper. Stir in fresh parsley and serve with a sprinkling of shredded Mozzarella cheese. 


Albert gave it 4 1/2 stars out of 5! It wasn't very soupy as the pasta seemed to soak up most of the liquid so it turned out more like Hamburger Helper. It's a bit caloric, 550 calories, (maybe smaller servings, we split it up into 4), but gets an A- nutritional grade.

Comments

Candi said…
So glad you liked it! Thanks for visiting! (I love Virginia, my birthplace :)
Hua said…
Hey Tiff,

This looks delicious. I would have never thought to make lasagna soup, so creative! I'm going to try making this for myself this weekend.

I found your blog while searching for unique and helpful content on healthy eating. I think you could benefit from sharing your personal story to an audience of people seeking information on healthy eating. Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN) is comprised of over 3,000 of the web's best health writers, including doctors, patient experts and people pursuing healthy living.

For more information about joining, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Best,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

Popular Posts