Kathmandu, Nepal

On Sunday, February 7 I flew 3 hours from Bangkok to Kathmandu, which felt like nothing after flying to Bangkok. It was a bit of a shock. Kathmandu is much less developed and you understand that from the moment you walk across the tarmac to the airport.

The hotel we stayed at was more like a hostel and I upgraded to a suite. I was glad I did since the other rooms didn't get electricity during the day. My room must have been covered by a generator since the city allocates sparse electricity to neighborhoods according to time.

I felt a little like I was camping because it was cold and the windows and doors are always open so you wear lots of layers all day long. Also, there are very few restaurants that are indoors, so even though it gets down into the 30s everyone sits outside by the fire. During the day it usually warms up and you can get away without wearing a coat. Unfortunately it was only warm the last couple days I was there, but it was nice while it lasted.

I enjoyed haggling with the vendors who all spoke English very well. I bought hats, gloves, slippers, scarves, and a nicely engraven box all for pretty cheap.  The traffic there is nuts.  You just honk and go.  I may get to go back later on this year. I hope so because I still have a bunch of left over rupees. I'd like to get out of the city next time, I hear hiking is the thing to do there :D

I left early on February 11 to the airport for the long trip home. In the Kathmandu airport I ran into a couple Marines providing security in the embassy in Bangkok, which is right by the hotel I stayed at.  One of them looked exactly like Barak Obama except he was shorter and a little more filled out.  It was nice to have them around because the airport is chaotic and I had no idea what was going on.   They put you in a big room with no signs and you can't understand the occasional announcement they do make.

Comments

Popular Posts