Recipe of the Week: Beef Stew with Sweet Potatoes

Wednesday, October 21 Albert made this yummy stew from this recipe he found on About.com. I had never had sweet potatoes in my stew not to mention cinnamon, but the flavor definitely grew on me. The meat was so tender having cooked for 5+ hours.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean stew beef
  • 3 tablespoons {gluten-free} flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 large onion (or 2 medium), halved and cut in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large sweet potato, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup {gluten-free} beef stock (canned, or from bouillon or base)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas or green beans (thawed)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation: 

Toss stew beef with the flour and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet; brown beef and onion. Place sweet potato cubes in the Crock Pot; add beef and onions. Mix beef broth with cinnamon and pour over beef mixture. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Add peas or green beans during the last 15 to 20 minutes. Good with biscuits.
Serves 4.
 

We had ours over rice - Albert's used to eating rice with everything and I'm a big fan. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. At first I didn't know if I was going to like it because it was different, but after the first couple bites I started to really like it. It did seem like there was something missing and I had a crazy idea that maybe cranberries would be a nice compliment. Maybe we'll give that a try next time.

Comments

Adele said…
okaaay...that looks INCREDIBLE!!! (: I love stews, and rice. I could eat rice everyday! (: looks like you've got for yourself one heck of a cook! (: xoxo

Popular Posts