Discounted Theatre in DC

We've been a little obsessed lately about getting free/discounted tickets to the theatre. Albert and I both love going plays and since we don't know if fate will allow us to stay in the area forever, we're trying to get as much out of DC as we can. {I have to keep reminding Albert that universities also have plays and orchestras so we just might survive away from this cultural mecca.} Besides the USO, which is always gracious, I've found these deal on the Washingtonian (I have their email subscription which I find very useful in finding out what free stuff is available in the area).

Tomorrow night we're going to the Arena Stage production Quality of Life. I read this on my email from the Washingtonian, "On Mondays, theatergoers under age 30 can buy $10 tickets for the week’s performances (Tuesday through Sunday)—by phone, online, or in person—until the allotment sells out. Arena’s temporary locations are 1800 S. Bell St., Arlington, and the Lincoln Theatre, 1215 U St., NW." So this Monday Albert and I dropped by their Crystal City location on our way home and picked up 2 tickets to tomorrow's performance for $20. Luckily I'm a mere 29 so I still qualify for the 30 and under. I don't know what we're going to do after August.


Today I was lucky to snag 2 sets of tickets from The League of Washington Theatres' fourth annual Free Night of Theater. Today at noon they had a certain number of tickets from participating theatres on specified nights (generally during weeknights) for FREE. Only 1 reservation of 2 tickets per person. I reserved 2 tickets for Black Pearl Sings! at Ford's Theatre. I'm not as excited about the actual play as I am about going to Ford's Theatre.

Albert (via me) reserved 2 tickets for Much Ado About Nothing from Folger Theatre, which has a Caribbean theme to it. looks like a lot of fun.

Later on this month I'm going to see about getting tickets for Lulu playing at the Washington Shakespeare Company. Saturday matinees are "pay what you can." We're also going to look into the Shakespeare Theatre Company's $10 tickets for those 35 and under, the Alchemist looks really funny.

Comments

Popular Posts