All-American Rejects

Finally, the blog post you've been waiting for since we announced we had tickets...drum roll please...The All-American Rejects in concert!

I must say that Albert is probably the best person to take to a concert. First he made our traditional chicken curry for dinner that he brought with him when he picked me up from work. We went straight to the 9:30 Club so he could wait in line. I ate my curry in the car and listened to "Eclipse" on my I-Pod while he sat on his folding chair in line by some annoying girls talking way too loud for him to enjoy "Eclipse" he had downloaded onto his phone (yeah, we're obsessed). At 6:30 they finally let us in so I went and got in line while Albert took the chair back to the car.

As we were walking into the club we walked by an ally where the AAR bus was parked and saw this:


Yes...that is the lead singer of AAR skate boarding by the bus, and yes it was very cool.

Here he is going back, just so you get the full effect:


After we got into the club we hurried to the front of the stage. There was still a little bit of room in the front row so we were lucky to claim our spot. We stood there for a little over an hour before the first opening band came out.

This is what we looked like while we were waiting, just smiling in anticipation:

The first opening band was The Upwelling. They were ok. Not my fav, but don't worry, the bands only got better throughout the evening. The lead singer kinda reminded me of David Arquette -- you know Monica from "Friends" real husband. Here's shot so you know what I mean:


Then Ace Enders came out and sang a song about "Bring Back Love" which was decent. Since we were in the front row the music was super loud. Now we've been in the front before, but this was much louder than we were used to. I put pieces of napkin in my ears, but it didn't really help.

Here's a pic of the Ace Enders' really pretty drum set. My baby sister is a drummer and I think she needs to get a set like this:

Here's the actual band:

I know you've been waiting for our customary kissing pic, just so you know that we still like each other, even after almost a year of marriage :) Here it is!

The 3rd opening band (yes there were 3!) was Shiney Toy Guns. If you haven't heard them, they are pretty good. The vocals of the guy and girl lead singers were pretty against the techno type music, but again it was sooo uncomfortably loud I was having a hard time enjoying myself.

It was a bit of a sensory overload. In addition to the music they had intense strobe lights and a smoke machine. We were facing the strobe lights and I had to look away fearing I might have a seizure even though I'm not epileptic. The smoke machine was only a few feet away from us so that wasn't fun either. I was feeling really old right about then. I'm turning into my parents and I don't even have children!

Here's a cool picture of the lead singer (I think) in the smoke. Visually it was cool, but it made it hard to breath:

Here's another cool picture of the girl. Albert really liked her blue hair :D

At about 10 PM the All-American Rejects came on the stage. Before they did Albert got a picture of this wicked cool sticker on the keyboard. In case you have eyes like mine it reads "Sorry that my mustache is so rad." His mustache was really rad.

AAR was pretty cool. It was still loud which probably wouldn't have bothered me if they were the first band instead of the forth to go on, but the front man was funny and crazy. Sort of reminded me of Mick Jagger. Here's probably my favorite picture Albert took that night:

There were tons of photographers there standing right in front of the stage. I counted nine at one time, it was kinda getting ridiculous. Here's a picture that includes some of the photographers, plus you get to see an idea of the awesome jamming out onstage:

Just a normal one of the band:

I couldn't forget a close-up of the shoes! So pretty, don't you think?

The lead singer for all you fans:

Afterwards Albert was able to get the playlist "for [his] wife" of course. Here he is with his booty:



Yesterday the ringing in our ears finally dissipated, but the stamps on my hands are still visible despite my continual scrubbing. Next rock concert we go to at the 9:30 Club we'll be sitting in the balcony and I'm going to remember my ear plugs :D

**Update** Albert let me know that his ears are still ringing a day and half later -- I told you it was loud -- he should have put some napkin in his ears like me :D

Comments

abby said…
I have a Shiney Toy Guns album. My favorite song is Rainy Monday. Rubbing alcohol get's the hand stamps off pretty well. I'm a bit jealous that you guys saw them.
I love the AAR. And I love that I you got the set list. Classic! Oh how I miss the days of the 9:30 club. I'm excited to check out the bands you mentioned!
Laura & Tyson said…
That is sooo cool! I would love to see them in concert. How fun that you guys were so close. At least you know to bring earplugs next time maybe...good to know!

Popular Posts