Nick & Norah in Australia

Being big RedBox fans we've watched a couple movies the last two days.


The first was Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist with the dude from Juno. Overall I liked it. At parts it kinda drug on, but the characters were likable and had clever lines (like in Juno) with an interesting plot. It did have some swearing and one kinda sexual scene. Although they didn't show anything I don't think it would be appropriate for kids.

The characters are both "straight edge" and showed her friend puking a lot after drinking. I thought that was a good message for teenagers, you can be cool and not drink and being drunk isn't actually that much fun especially for those who have to babysit you (the girl who was drunk missed out on a lot of stuff because she was sick the whole time). It also has a great soundtrack.



The other movie we watched was Australia. This movie was poorly written to say the least. It really dragged on. We kept thinking it was over and then a whole new series of events would take the movie in an entirely different direction (kind of like Hancock). It's like they had two movies and decided to stick the sequel in with the original. At the end Albert didn't want to wait for the credits just in case the movie kept going. It was like the papers I used to write for school and my teacher would tell me the topic was too large and I needed to focus on one thing and expand on it. Makes you wonder who approved this script. Definitely not one of my professors.

Also it was super predictable. We kept saying what was going to happen next because it was so obvious. While pointing out the blatant racism that existed at the time, it was very politically correct and the characters were one dimensional -- the movie would have been a whole lot better if they had stuck with one story and focused on adding depth to the characters.

It did have a lot of eye candy and brought to light some aspects of Australian history of which I was unaware. I realized that I pretty much know nothing about aboriginal culture and it made me curious to look up more about Australia during WWII and see if any of it was true.

If you rent this one be ready to sit tight for 3 long hours.

Comments

Popular Posts