Recipe of the Week: Pumpkin Pie

For Thanksgiving I decided to make pumpkin pie again, but this time I experimented trying to make it low-calorie. Since I would be the primary eater of the entire pie I couldn't have the decadent pie I would prefer. One slice of 500+ calorie pie is ok, but 8 slices will do some damage.

For the crust I used Jules GF pie crust recipe which suggested that I could use either shortening or butter. So if can use butter I can surely use margarine, right? Well, it turned out pretty good, but it's definitely NOT flaky like the one I made last year. When I took it out of the oven it was actually really hard, but softened up after sitting in the fridge over night.

For the filling I used Betty Crocker's "Healthified Pumpkin Pie" recipe, which I modified a little bit to be exactly 100 calories for each of the 8 servings and received a nutritional grade B. The crust was also 100 calories and received a B- nutritional grade, so a slice of pie was 200 calories each. I found some whipped cream that has only 5 calories per tablespoon so it's a pretty low-calorie treat.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup egg beater
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup baking splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/8 teaspoon salt
15 oz pumpkin 12 oz evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


It's a fairly tasty pie, but not as good as the fattening kind with the shortening. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. The filling getting the majority of the stars.

Comments

Popular Posts