John Adams


We finished watching the HBO mini series John Adams based on  David McCullough's Pulitzer-prize winning book that we borrowed from our friends Kim & Joe.  Being a big fan of history, I figured I was pretty familiar with the Revolutionary War, but I learned so much.  I really didn't know much about John Adams nor was I familiar with the personalities and relationships that the Founding Father's had.  It really helped tie together all the various stories I had heard had gave me a whole new appreciation for John Adams, the Founding Fathers, and all those who sacrificed so much to put together this great nation. 

I loved  how the actors and writers were able to portrait the characters in real way. They showed their faults and their strengths in a way that made them believable.  When I think of George Washington he seems almost god-like, more symbolic than human, I never thought of him being mad, or sad, or happy.  I loved the way he was portrayed.  A true patriot who stepped up when his country needed him with struggles and flaws like anyone else.

I didn't know anything about John Adams or his close friendship with Thomas Jefferson, which was interesting to learn about.  John Adams really saw things in black & white and was truly bound by duty.  He definitely wasn't the easiest person to work with, but he was a hard worker and very moral.  His relationship with his wife was very special. I knew they had written a lot of beautiful letters to each other, but I didn't realize how much he relied on her.  I loved that he called her his friend, they were truly best friends.  What higher title could you give a spouse?


We have been to Boston, Philadelphia, Monticello, New York, Mount Vernon, Annapolis, the Capitol, and the White House so it was really fun to point out all the things we've seen or know about the people.  You could tell the make-up and costume people really tried to get  things historically correct by the nasty teeth everyone had.  I've never noticed bad teeth in Jane Austin movies. 

I highly recommend watching it if you haven't.  It has definitely inspired me to learn more about the Founding Fathers (and Mothers). I feel like I know John Adams personally now.  There is definitely still a lot to learn from President Adams and his life.

Comments

Whitleypedia said…
I'm watching the last part right now. The show is magnificent on every level.

Popular Posts