Recipe of the Week: Chocolate-Orange Cake
I found this Chocolate-Orange Cake recipe on Betty Crocker's gluten-free website. The directions on the box are the same as in this recipe except you add a cup of orange juice which makes all the difference. I substituted 1/4 cup of applesauce for 1/4 cup of the butter. It was very moist inside and the orange flavor is very subtle. I had a container of chocolate frosting already so I just added a couple tablespoons of orange juice to it. Yum! Albert liked it too. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.
Ingredients
Cake
- 1 box (15 oz) Betty Crocker® Gluten Free devil's food cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Additional orange peel or mandarin orange segments, if desired
Directions
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 8- or 9-inch square pan. In large bowl, beat cake ingredients on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
- Bake 44 to 49 minutes for 8-inch pan or 38 to 43 minutes or 9-inch pan until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 tablespoon of the orange juice with electric mixer on low speed until mixed. Add remaining orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until creamy and smooth. Beat in 1 teaspoon orange peel. Spread frosting on cooled cake. Garnish with orange peel or mandarin orange segments.



Comments
Dani